Hello everyone! Diana here to update you with some great praises/updates and much needed prayer requests.
We have a job!
- thank you so much for all of the prayers! I got a job at International Community School as a part-time substitute teacher. It’s an international Christian school nearby. I’ve worked there for two weeks now and it’s been a great time of getting to know teachers, administrators, and students. (mini prayer request: please pray that God provides enough days for me to work each month. I work as often as there is need, so…let there be need!)
We have friends!!
- One thing I love about Singapore is how welcoming the people have been (at least everyone that I’ve met!) It’s been so great making friends –people to laugh, cry, and pray with. I remember praying one week for God to help me make some good friends here…and I feel like He’s been really answering that prayer. Sometimes it feels like the first day of school here: we’re often meeting all sorts of new people, sharing/hearing new stories, experiencing new types of humor, and establishing a new support system.
We have partners and mentors!!!
- I might be gushing, but seriously, the churches here are AWESOME. We feel so fortunate to have been meeting really great men and women of faith here. The neighboring churches (because everywhere in Singapore is “neighboring”) are so welcoming and supportive of our church. Pastors and ministry leaders have been offering a lot of advice and encouragement. There’s this one couple that we’ve met who have been especially kind, helpful, inspiring, everything. The wife is actually the one who helped me get my job, and she’s full of so much love and advice. SHE’S EVEN TEACHING ME HOW TO COOK AND FIND GOOD FOOD SHOPPING DEALS. Sigh. Girl crush.
In the midst of all these exciting and undeserving praises, we have problems. Lots of problems! This is a season where we feel SO stretched, uncomfortable, confused, uncertain, and still excited, humbled, thankful.
In effort to keep this blog genuine and your prayers accurate, here are two areas that you can pray for us:
- Joe’s been doing a fantastic job transitioning to preaching every week. Seriously, sometimes he’ll say something and I’ll write it in my planner as the “quote of the week” to remember and meditate on. But it’s definitely hard to meet people, lead 2 life groups, plan ministry, be a husband, take care of a migraine-prone wife, and sermon prep all at once. So please pray for Joe that he can continue to thrive and grow as a pastor and husband and human. (on that note, please hug your pastor and wife this week. Or write them a short note of thanks. Or take them to dinner…or make them dinner and drop it off their house so that they don’t have to cook. ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE KIDS. I can’t even begin to comprehend how pastor’s families do what they do. #respect)
- Being a female in Asia is rough. Maybe I’ll write more on this later, but it’s tough to be larger than an XS here. This week was especially hard. I found myself loathing the part of the morning where I pick something to wear cause I was so scared that it wouldn’t fit or I’d look huge and gross. My mind feels like a warzone of insecurities and it’s been really hard to focus at times. Joe has been the most wonderful and supportive husband, but physical insecurities go way beyond male approval. As I was praying this week, I came away with one conviction: I don’t want to stop struggling with this problem by merely losing weight (because I know how to lose weight, and the process can get ugly). I want to overcome this battle in my mind first. So please pray for personal transformation. I want to be strong in my mind, I want to have godly values, I want to genuinely have eyes that see God’s beauty and not the beauty of this world.
Thank you for the support and prayers everyone! At my lowest point this week, it was the prayer of believers that really got me through. Every prayer matters. And we’re so thankful for each one!